Fun In The Sun

The sun has been shining this weekend, but not soon enough to save the under 13s and under 17s games, and then the under 11s got cancelled as several of Buxton’s team were on holiday. So not much action for our youngsters, but they did get a good training session in on Friday evening, with a well planned session, and plenty of support from our players. 

The weekend saw another double win for firsts and seconds, with Buxton suffering from two good team performances. The firsts had little fuss recording an eight wicket victory, but the seconds was a much more fraught affair. Both openers retired hurt, the senior batsmen failed to apply themselves, and they stumbled to a low total, but a masterful display from Ed Kitchen resulted in a very easy victory. 

The six a side failed to happen last year, with the weather thwarting at least three attempts, but this year it looked like we would get off to a flyer. With no van there were dark clouds on the horizon, but Tommo came good off the pitch even if he continuously declines to do anything on it. Toe came up with an interesting selection of alocholic beverages, with “Zest” not exactly selling like hot cakes. The ginger one was always going to struggle, but the citrus one also failed to sell, perhaps confirming that, at least in terms of the six a side, low alcoholic drinks are not the answer. Budweiser may advertise itself as “King Of Beers”, but it was massively outsold by the more niche Guinness, though at least we shifted many litres of lemonade from the lockers in the visitors changing room that had been there longer than anyone could remember. 

Morrison’s were the supermarket of choice, mainly because of their sale or return policy and the generous 10% staff discount, Tesco please take note, but that almost came to nought as Luke lost his dscount card. Toe will be returning some drinks tomorrow, and also having a word about the out of date orange juice that they tried to foist upon us. 

The barbeque also had some unusual comestibles, with burgers that appeared to have cheese somehow infused within them. After a hectic half hour it was difficult to tell the difference, so it was a good thing that there were no dairy intolerances around, though Toe did throw up after a late attack of the barbeque munchies. 

Sarah Heyes and Sally Madden did a marvellous job keeping the hot food coming, ably assisted by myself and Nige Morten amongst others, whilst Sue did a fabulous job in the tuck shop, introducing a woman’s touch accompanied by the ruthless streak inherent in all landladies, and taking over £150. 

Elliot and JJ manned the gate to good effect, whilst Peter Crowley beat off several competitors to win favour with “The Master” and act as his apprentice. Organisation was chaotically magnificent, and when we settled on five teams “The Brain” had brain freeze as he struggled to come to terms with the round robin mathematics that produced 10 games. 

The action was called, as ever, by TR Wild, with Colin Wild meticulously recording every run. The pitch was marvellously prepared by Mr Latham, and the stage was set. From the off, Drum and Monkey were favouries, with some big scores being racked up. Stars of the show, however, were The Goyt, with Captain Ben favouring the reverse sweep at every opportunity. Unfortunately they failed to record a win, and although The Sheps and White Hart A put up good performances, the final was played out between the aforementioned D & M, and the White Hart B team featuring our own John Crowley. Toe and Chris Smith kept the punch a variety of colours throughout, and Eddie Ford and Gibbo battled with some of the most obstinate raffle tickets ever made. Gibbo resorted to scissors, whilst Eddie resorted to curses, as the little green tickets refused to adhere to their perforations. The steady stream of willing umpires was impressive, but it was fitting that the final was overseen by Clayton and MMM. Wickets fell regularly during the Drum and Monkey innings, and they set their opponents just 35 to win. This was never enough, and Bill Sutton struck the winning runs, giving John Crowley a distinct advantage over his mercurial offspring in the cricketing silverware stakes.  

The presentation was a brief affair, with the shield having gone missing some years ago and the trophies bearing the year 2012, but nobody seemed to mind. 

It had been a great day, and we look forward to running another “Event” later in the season.